A few weeks ago, I made chocolate-covered strawberries for a Passover Seder. These strawberries are yummy, not too unhealthy (as desserts go), romantic, and not to mention, EASY. Whenever I’ve made these, people are really impressed, which is funny considering it’s two ingredients and about 15 minutes of little effort. But hey, I’ll take all the praise I can get.
But if you’ve never made them before, check out my tips on making these pretty, sweet treats. Trust me: you will make friends with these!
1. Wash your strawberries and dry well before beginning. Prepare a cookie sheet covered in foil and coated with cooking spray.
2. Pick your chocolate! I recommend chocolate chips, or you can break a chocolate bar into pieces. White, dark, and milk all work well, but whatever you do, choose QUALITY chocolate! None of those coating chips you see in the baking aisle. I prefer Ghirardelli or Green & Black’s.
3. To melt chocolate in microwave: place chips in a coffee mug about halfway up the mug. I like the mug/micro method because I don’t have a double boiler, and coffee cups hold the heat and provide optimal dipping volume.
4. Cook chips for one minute; stir. Continue heating in 30-second increments, stopping to stir each time. Don’t overcook!
5. Once the chocolate is melted, work quickly to dip! Grab the stem of the berry and dunk it in your coffee cup. Place the dipped strawberry on the prepared sheet. Be GENEROUS with the chocolate…it’s dessert, after all!.
6. Repeat until all the strawberries are dipped or you run out of chocolate. If need be, repeat the melting procedure (clean the cup out first!) because it’s better to work with just a little chocolate at a time.
7. Let strawberries sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until the chocolate sets. Carefully lift the strawberries off your plate and you’re done!
YUM! This plate was cleaned, save for a few of the un-dipped berries, imagine that! I’ve also dipped apricots in white chocolate using the same technique. Are there any other chocolate-dipped fruits I should try for my next party trick?
I’ve been tagged by Mara for the 8 Things survey. Of course, with me you get commentary too. I can’t just answer a simple question!
8 Things I’m Looking Forward To:
- Conference in Newport Beach (yes, like where the OC took place). My first grownup conference and the museum is footing the bill!
- Padres game on Saturday with Mitch and his mom. TAILGATE!
- Piano bar on Sunday to celebrate my friend’s birthday, 25 year anniversary of her business, AND 5 YEARS CANCER FREE! Go Leta go!!!
- My birthday (May 6 if you wanna get your presents ready)
- Summertime and spending as much time outdoors as possible.
- Tracey and Leah coming from the East Coast to visit over Labor Day!
- My best friend Cara moving home soon (she’s been away for 2 years!)
- New fitness/nutrition program (but that’s a maybe so I’m throwing in a 9th: my 3-year anniversary with Mitchy on July 13)
8 Things I Did Yesterday:
- Called in sick to work. I actually worked from home, but I wasn’t feeling so hot when I woke up so I decided to use one of my kajillion sick days.
- Laid around and complained about the heat (it was HOT for San Diego yesterday!)
- Took Nina for a walk up the hills near the condo when it was finally cool enough to go out without her overheating.
- Picked up Thai food for dinner. OBSESSED with the fresh spring rolls they have, especially on a hot day like yesterday.
- Made chocolate pudding (Jello Cook and Serve, baby!) for dessert.
- Read a little for my book club meeting next week. I’m in trouble…still over 200 pages to go!
- Blogged, read blogs, commented on blogs.
- Hard to think of something else I did (see 1 & 2). I know I watched some TV.
8 Things I Wish I Could Do:
- Repair my relationship with certain family members.
- Stop picking my cuticles.
- Parallel park.
- Crow pose.
- Not over-analyze everything.
- Lose 10-15 pounds (hello, honesty!)
- Erase Alzheimer’s disease from the planet
8 Shows I Watch:
(in order of least embarrassing to most)
- Criminal Minds
- NBC Nightly News (ah, Brian Williams. I heart you.)
- 30 Rock
- Cold Case
- Grey’s Anatomy
- Big Brother
- Real Housewives of Orange County (yikes…that one was painful!)
I’m going to be lame and not tag anyone else to do the survey. If you’re reading this and you haven’t done it yet, I TAG YOU!!
I’m watching The Biggest Loser (yeah…I watch WAY more than 8 shows. Damn you, DVR!) when I should be packing for my trip. I’m not sure what the blogging situation will be like over the next few days, but let’s be honest, I don’t post every day anyway! I am going to try to post tomorrow before I make the long drive (haha) to Orange County, however.
I can’t believe these people on TBL are hanging from chains in the air…crazy!