Hey all, I need to be honest. I haven’t had the greatest weekend. It started well, with a lovely (and pricey/indulgent, which actually might have triggered the pity party) anniversary dinner with my boy and ever since then my stomach hasn’t felt great, I’ve been really tired and generally pretty mopey, a family member landed in the hospital, etc. etc. I’ve pretty much done nothing this weekend but exercise, grocery shop, and lay around watching TV. I think my body needed that rest, but I also hope this funk is lifted soon.
I want this blog to have a happy tone, so instead of lamenting further about all the reasons I feel blue, I decided to make a list of the things in my life that are good. Being reminded of the blessings that I have always helps keep my bad moods in perspective and reminds me that while I feel blah, there’s lots of happiness around too. I really believe in “fake it ‘til you make it,” so here is my list for today:
- I have a good job that’s stable. And more than that, I work with cool people and for a great, worthwhile organization.
- I have an awesome boyfriend—things are probably as good between us as they have ever been. He helps me through my blah days and makes kick-ass smoothies, which I’ve been having for breakfast almost every day.
- I have awesome friends that are always there for me. I went for a walk with my bestie today, and I’m so happy she moved back home after spending a few years away.
- I’m going to two weddings in the next few months, which is always fun! The first one is a Mexican-Jewish wedding, and from what I hear, it’s going to be QUITE the party.
- Two of my best friends from college are coming out to San Diego over Labor Day. I’ve never had college friends come out to Cali, so I’m REALLY excited to share my awesome home town with these girls. I can’t wait.
- I might be starting a new fitness program that might give me the shake-up that I need to finally get the results that I want. (I don’t want to elaborate in case it falls though, but it’s a pretty cool opportunity. Stay tuned.)
- My bruised toe is starting to get better. I’m hoping to get back into running. I have lowered my expectations for November’s 10k (old goal: don’t walk; new goal: do my very best) and I’m actually really looking forward on training for it, because it feels good to have a goal unrelated to weight loss.
- I may have a lost a few blog readers lately (I think for lack of updating) but in general, being a part of the blogging community makes me happy. I feel like I have friends who understand me, maybe sometimes more than “real-life” friends do in some ways. So “blogging and blogging friends” goes on this list!
I made a lentil/brown rice dish with caramelized onions from Veganomicon yesterday that I was going to show ya’ll, but as you can imagine it’s not very photogenic, and actually not that tasty. (I think I overdid the allspice) I love how vegan food keeps for days, so it’s nice to have lunch for tomorrow all ready. I’m just going to have soup and toast for dinner in a little bit, because I think that’s all I can handle right now.
I listed eight good things that are going on for me right now; eight reasons I have to be happy with my life. Friends, what are two good things going on for you? I need some positive energy up in here!!