adapted from Veganomicon
- olive oil spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tsp hot sauce (I used Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce since I’m obsessed)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (side note: this stuff is weird. But it was key!)
- Preheat a saucepan over medium heat. Place the onions in the pan and sauté in oil spray until browned (about 7 min).
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add all the other ingredients except the mustard and liquid smoke, and cook for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mustard and liquid smoke and taste for sweetness/sourness. Adjust the flavors as needed, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Puree if desired.
Makes about 4 cups.